FUNCTION / RESPONSIBILITIES OF DIRECTORATE OF ACADEMIC PLANNING, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS
About the Academic Planning Unit
The Academic Planning Unit of Kwara State College of Education, Ilorin is located within the Central Area of the College, very close to the College Mosque. The office provides a range of management and Statistical Information, research and Planning support to facilitate informed decision makings, Planning and Policy formulation, and the overall strategic development of the College.
The role of the Academic Planning Unit is to provide timely and accurate information to the College for Planning and managerial decision making, administer key College Investigative research into areas of needs, Coordinate Compliance reporting activities and guide the management in decision-making.
Structure of the Academic Planning
The Academic Planning Unit is an integral part of the College and headed by a Director. The Academic Planning Unit of the Kwara State College of Education, Ilorin is currently headed by Dr. Hadi A. Moshood. The directorate is complimented by a Deputy Director – Mrs Oluwole Y.G and seven other hard-working staff.
Dr. Hadi A. Moshood, Director of the Unit
Functions of Directorate of Academic Planning
Academic Planning makes it possible to have a uniform academic direction and purpose for the development of academic excellence. By and large, the directorate liaises with the National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) on behalf of the college. It also relates closely with bodies like Academic Board, Schools and Departments and communicates any new information on academic policy matters as dictated by NCCE as feedback to these bodies.
Apart from the role enumerated above, the major functions of the Directorate based on current practices in Colleges of Education include:
1. Preparation of academic calendar of events for college academic programmes.
2. Preparation of statistical digests for student admission quota, enrolment, projection and public consumption.
3. Ensure proper registration for courses of students at specified periods.
4. Annual updating, analysis and interpretation of data for planning and preparation of the college budget.
5. Participation in college curricular revision and ensure that the college complies with the procedures and guidelines on new programme development.
6. Preparation, implementation and general review of Academic Brief for internal and external purpose.
7. Preparation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of strategic plan and implementation.
8. Organise constant seminars, conferences, workshops in the college.
9. Promote research in education through publication of journals, textbooks, handbook, etc.
10. Searching/soliciting for fellowships, scholarships, technical assistance, external aids, etc. for staff to enhance teaching research and development.
11. Work hand in hand with the college management in the area of manpower, physical facilities, relevant teaching and learning materials.
12. Determination of adequate staff strength and requirement, through Full Time Equivalent to guide against any possible excess staffing and its attendant results.
13. Sourcing for linkages/collaborations with other colleges/organizations in order to exchange collegiality across the globe.
14. Administration of Direct Teaching and Laboratory cost.
15. Compilation and administration of Teaching and Research Equipment grant.
16. Provide close monitoring of the college Programme in partnership with the Directorate of Quality assurance so as to maintain the quality of the College Programmes and effective service delivery.
17. Quality Assurance and coordination of accreditation and re-accreditation of academic programmes in line with the NCCE Minimum Academic Standards.
18. Ensure prompt release of students’ results.
19. Ensure that the Deans of Schools, Directors of Centers and Heads of Department keeps proper academic records.
20. Ensure that there is a high academic standard and good quality of teacher education programmes in the college (i.e. in the area of teaching and examination).
21. Keep the college abreast of the current changes and benchmark requirements of NCCE, NUC, JAMB, WAEC, NECO, NABTEB and any other relevant bodies.
22. Periodic visits to other places, tertiary institutions for first-hand information and collection of relevant academic materials e.g. Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti; University of Ilorin; Kwara State University, Malete; Sister Colleges of Education in the State; NCCE, NUC, JAMB, WAEC, NECO, etc.
23. Appraisal and processing of requests for affiliation from other tertiary institutions in accordance with the NCCE policy on affiliation.
24. Preparation in conjunction with the Bursary Department of the annual recurrent budget.
25. Ad-hoc duties as assigned by the provost.